The first setting of my story in my opinion could be in a battlefield, the protagonist has just murdered a man in war. This is important because he is addressing his mother but he is not with her, he is having somewhat of a rhetorical conversation. The tone is very melancholic and depressing, the atmosphere is dull and weary. When he kills himself the setting changes and from being in a place where reality is present, the story shifts to a more fantasy-like setting. He goes to purgatory where there is a trial to see whether his soul should live or if the demons should take him back to hell. The atmosphere changes to more of an intense discussion between the saints and demons, the music is much more upbeat and opera-like feeding even more to the fantasy feel of the song. Towards the end of the song the setting sifts back to the battlefield again, this is like if the song made a full circle even though there is no resolution, the song ends with the boy stating that "nothing really matters." I don't think necessarily that the time changes because everything happens in the present except the murder of the man that triggered this whole conflict.
the main character is obviously the boy that goes through this dramatic conflict and the rest of the characters influence him greatly into committing the decision that he does. The man that he killed drives him to commit suicide, and i also think the mother had somewhat of a role in this too because since he apologizes she can be a symbol for his guilt and maybe for the rest of society. When he is in trial the saints are trying to save his soul but the demons want him to go to hell, they play the most important role in deciding how the main character reacts. After an intense argument between the demons and saints he finally breaks free leaving everything behind him and deciding that he is worth a lot more than he originally thought he was("I'm just a poor boy") this is where the character makes a transformation caused by the other characters in the story, but a few moments later he is back in reality laying on the floor where he just attempted to commit suicide saying that nothing really matters to him.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This seems to be about right. I had never thought of the song in that way, never made the connection that he seems to be in a battle field, but after reading this, I totally agree! good job!
I'm not too sure if comparing the song to a war and a battlefeild is correct, but hey if you can argue it go for it. The reason I say this is because I've always imagined the main character as someone who committed murder. But I agree with your idea about him going through purgatory and encountering demons and angels. That seems to git well with the song.
Post a Comment